That is how long since my last post! Wow, so much has happened since then.
Don't mind me while I give a brief recap in bullet-list form...
- June 26...Our 7th anniversary as well as the evening after Critterfest (see previous post), I got a text message from my best friend, Riley, letting me know that she and her husband are expecting a baby!! This exciting news came after two and a half years of trying, hoping, waiting, and praying. God has blessed the Usserys in the midst of their faithfulness and devotion to Him, and I am beyond thankful, thrilled, and excited for them! I am waiting to hear what weekend I am heading to the Dallas area so I can paint the nursery!!! SO EXCITED!!
- After months of applications, resumes, interviews, e-mails and prayers (for guidance and patience), I have accepted a job as the library aide at both Mackenzie Middle School and Cavazos Middle School here in Lubbock. The job is going to be a way for me to utilize gifts that I might not get to utilize in an ordinary classroom. I am excited to rediscover the organization and creativity that I know lie within me...somewhere!! Haha!! I won't be teaching math like I had hoped, but God knew that I would need something low-stress and flexible so that I can transition from being a part-time-stay-at-home/part-time-working-mommy to full-time-working mommy. At 4:00 when the bell rings, I will be thankful to grab my purse, say good-bye to a few coworkers, and hit the road with nothing to grade or plan...not to mention the stress of "the test" that comes every spring! In addition, this year will count as teaching experience as far as the pay scale is concerned, so regardless of what happens next year, I will have this year of experience added to the five I had in the classroom. Also, insurance cost will go way down for our family since I will be insured on my own now. Austin will continue to carry Owen on his insurance, and altogether, we will be saving over $300 per month in premiums! I also get TRS (retirement). There were numerous pros associated with this job when it was placed side-by-side with our situation! Another plus...I LOVE both librarians, so I am going to be getting to work side-by-side with a couple of fabulous ladies. When do I start? State law says I have to have fingerprints on file (electronically) before I am allowed on either campus so I have made my fingerprint appointment (the first available) for August 31. After that, I will finally be able to go to the campuses to start my new job.
- Owen started Parent's Day Out (PDO) today. He will be kept by a super sweet Christian lady named Andrea every morning and every afternoon Monday through Thursday. She will also keep him on Fridays all day. Monday through Thursday from 9:00-2:45, Owen will attend "school" at Little Wings (in the CityView Church building). He has a new Lightning McQueen backpack, Rockhounds lunchbox, and a precious lime green and brown monkey sleeping mat. The director, Melissa, and his teacher, Tanji, are wonderful ladies who immediately put my heart and mind at ease the minute I met them. This would be a good place to insert a side note***Owen had a trial run at a daycare the day before we connected with Melissa and THIS. MOM. WAS. A. WRECK. Thanks to classroom/internet cameras, I was able to watch what was going on in his classroom, and I just couldn't stand that no one was interacting with or talking to my intelligent, talkative, well-mannered, darling child. He wandered around the entire time just playing by himself, and in all the time I watched via the internet (which was A LOT), not one time did either teacher come talk to him or ask him any questions about colors, shapes, animals, what toys he was playing with, etc. I certainly don't mean any of that as "my child is the best there is," (although he is pretty spectacular in my book!!) but I would like to know that he's getting attention he deserves so that he can learn, grow, interact, and discover in a fun, friendly environment. I don't think that is too much to ask!! That afternoon after I picked Owen up (and cried nonstop for what felt like a few hours), Austin, his mom, Owen, and me went to meet Melissa at Little Wings. Match made in heaven. Super Duper Giant Thanks to Austin's mom for calling and getting some information that morning and the appointment for the same day!! We withdrew him from the trial-run daycare early the next morning, got a little of our money back, and he was enrolled in Little Wings!!*** Thanks be to God for putting Little Wings into our lap so that THIS. MOM. WOULD. BE. A. WRECK. NO. MORE!! I am so thankful that Owen will be in good hands and in a Christian atmosphere while I venture out into the working world again. My hope is that he makes lots of friends and learns as many new things as his little mind will hold!
- I started a new hobby recently. PILLOWCASE DRESSES!! They are so fun, cute, and easy, and if I had lots more time, I could honestly say I am partially addicted! I have made 5 altogether, and although each one has had some sort of snag/challenge, I got the problems figured out and have loved each one more than the last. I have plans to make 2 more, and after that, I don't know how many or how often I will be able to sew. It's hard to get out the machine, ironing board, iron, sewing supplies, cutting mat, cutter, etc just in time to have to put it all back up again. I need a sewing area/room that would allow me to leave it all ready to go at all times. Ahh, in my dreams!
- I painted another band hall! This one belongs to my husband. His color of choice? RED. Wow. It is the most gorgeous shade of red and his band hall looks incredible.
- Lastly, we are moving from our house on 101st Street. It's been a lovely place to call home for 3 years. In the beginning, we struggled with the decision wondering if and how we could live here if I was not bringing in much income. We caught ourselves wondering how we could even begin thinking about taking Owen away from his first home/yard/room, and honestly, we dreaded the possibility of regret. But...thanks to my mom opening my eyes, in the end, it is just a "house." It's walls, brick, carpet, cabinets, shelves, sinks, windows...it's all just a bunch of "stuff"..."things stuck together"...a "building." It didn't take us long to realize that the house doesn't matter. What matters is that we are family...a family of three...and wherever we go will be our home. As with any major decision, there are several pros and cons. In our case, and without going into much detail, the pros definitely outweigh the cons!! Our plan is to move in with Austin's mom for a year and then reevaluate our finances late next summer. It will be an amazing feeling to free up several hundred dollars in our monthly budget which will allow us to start saving to buy an even better house sometime down the road. We are so excited about our new financial situation and about downsizing for a year. We are so thankful to have family here in Lubbock who is selfless, willing to help, and who makes sacrifices on our behalf!
Well, time to wrap it up...
Pictures will be coming VERY soon.
That's a promise.
(...to all TWO of my blog readers!)
Happy back-to-school week to each of you!
Carianne


Enjoyed the update :)
ReplyDeleteCarianne~ I really enjoyed all of the updates! I know you've been one busy lady over the past several weeks, heck make that months! You've had a full summer - thanks for all of the news! I look forward to the pictures :) Oh and the bedding in my office is what I had in my apartment...I've saved it all this time and thought it would go well in here!
ReplyDelete