Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Kyle's Band Hall

Band is near and dear to my heart.  I was in band for 6 years throughout junior high and high school and have wonderful, WONDERFUL memories from my experiences those years.  I met my best friend during summer band...17 years ago this August.  I married a guy who was going to teach choir but decided that he wanted to go the band route instead.  He now teaches middle school band.  Band was, is, and always will be part of who I am.  It's in my blood.   

About a month ago, my brother-in-law (Austin's brother), Kyle, was offered the band director position at Smylie Wilson Middle School.  Of course we were all thrilled for him!  He graduated from Texas Tech in May and is now looking forward to teaching middle school students and turning them into musicians along the way.  

Here is his band hall.  A little dingy.  A little outdated.  A little dirty and dusty.  A little uninviting. 


View from the doorway leading into the band hall. 

From the opposite corner looking back at the room's entrance. 

The dusty trophy shelves


Kyle had a vision for his room...and it was one that involved some paint!  He wanted a stripe to go around the room.  He wanted the room to incorporate the school colors (purple and gold).  He wanted it to be freshened up a bit.  He wanted the kids to come in and know that things were going to be different from the way they had been.  So......this is where I enter.  I was commissioned to work on the stripe!  Hard work (especially on cinder block), but well worth the time and effort. 

One of the taped walls.  The stripe is 16-inches wide and went around the entire room. 

First came the purple.  Two long walls plus one shorter wall got the purple treatment.  The rest of the walls got a fresh coat of white paint. 




Then came the gold. 




 


The project took several days, but in the end, it was an amazing transformation!  Way to go Kyle!  Here's to an excellent year! 

:) Carianne

Pictures used without permission from Kyle's facebook page.  Sorry Kyle.  :)




1 comment:

  1. WHOA ~ That is AMAZING!! I love the transformation and color. Paint it WAY underrated. Those lucky band students - another job well done!

    ReplyDelete