I took an idea from my best pal, Riley, and am excited about adding this type of post to the blog each month! The idea? To blog about simple, everyday things that make me happy. Riley had a 2010 Things to be Happy About tear-off calendar that she would tear off each day. On each day’s list of 10 things, she would keep track of the things that made her the most happy and blog about them at the end of the month. I told her I was going to steal the idea because of how much I loved her posts…and I have! I got the 2011 version of the calendar for Christmas and I have made note of my favorite “happies” throughout January! Within the bulleted list, I grouped together some separate “happies” because some things just naturally go together! Here are the things that made me happy in January!
· A Fresh Fruit Cup – I LOVE fruit! Fruit cups as a side dish, fruit trays at a gathering of many people, fresh fruit thrown into a smoothie, a handful of freshly washed fruit on a paper plate for snacking…you name it (fruit-related) and I most likely love it!
· A Clean Slate – There’s just something about a fresh clean slate that says refreshed and ready to go!
· The Freshest Milk – I love fresh, ice cold milk with so many things…a bowl of my favorite cereal, a pile of cookies, a peanut butter and banana sandwich, smores, a warm brownie or slice of cake. Mmm.
· Preparing a Meal/A Sharpened Chef’s Knife – I enjoy being in the kitchen cooking! I love trying new recipes as well as preparing some of our favorites! A sharp knife just makes the preparation stage that much more enjoyable!
· Believing – Is any elaboration necessary?
· Perpetuating Kindness – I feel that kindness fuels kindness and I always strive to think about that in my day to day interactions. It doesn’t matter if it’s with the people I love and see each day, the person carrying out my groceries, the teller at the bank, the person parked next to me, the person on the other end of a phone call, etc. Everyone deserves straight-from-the-heart kindness! There are days I fall short, but I always have the next day to try again! Thank you, God, for that!!
· Praise – Who doesn’t love a good pat on the back or an uplifting compliment!?!?
· An Afternoon of Quiet – I don’t get these very often – at all – but I do enjoy them when they come along. Normally, my mind goes in fifty directions if it gets too quiet, so maybe it’s best for my brain that I don’t get these days regularly!
· A Favorite Outfit for Lounging/Fuzzy Slippers – I love pajama pants with t-shirts and/or sweatshirts and often wear fuzzy slippers to complete the ensemble!
· A Bright-Red Room – My most favorite bright-red room belongs to Riley! Her kitchen is painted red and has all sorts of brown and black coffee-related accents and accessories that make it inviting and cozy! I love being in her kitchen…which means I am in Dallas visiting her!!
· A Good Example – I love seeing people being good examples to others. Whether it’s a life lesson like learning right from wrong, or a math concept being learned, I believe that good examples are an important stepping stone in the learning process.
· Tired Kid(s) in Bed – Don’t get me wrong. I love my little Owen to PIECES, but when he’s down for the night, I very much look forward to having quiet time to myself. (I should say here that Austin often goes to bed not long after Owen!!) My quiet time may just be rinsing off the day’s dishes or folding a load of laundry that’s been in the dryer for 4 days…but still!! I do love my “me” time.
· Free Delivery – What a splendid way to receive something you’ve paid for!!
· The Smell of Snow Coming – I was able to smell this awesome smell just this evening since Lubbock is currently in the middle of a winter storm. The smell of snow is so crisp and refreshing. It screams cozy blanket and hot chocolate!
· A Handwritten Letter – Wow! I cannot remember the last time I received a handwritten letter in the mail. I love them…so simple and personal…a step back from technology. I used to write handwritten letters to friends and relatives as often as possible, but I just haven’t made it a priority in a long time. Maybe it’s time to get back into it!
· The Ability to Memorize – I love coming up with little sentences and phrases to help me memorize things (mostly math-related formulas and concepts). As a child, I always enjoyed studying for spelling tests and memorizing multiplication facts.
· An E-mail From a Friend – Sometimes in the midst of that busy, hectic thing called “life,” an e-mail is the best, quickest way to stay connected to a friend or loved one. With just a push of a few buttons, you can send someone an update, a birthday wish, a prayer request, a link to an inspiring story, etc.
· Holding a Baby – There is no other feeling like the sweet cuddle of a baby. Their smell becomes your smell and your smell becomes their smell. Their hair, their clothes, their sweet breath, their skin. It is one blended, fragrant smell of the best kind of gift. A gift from God.
· A Love-Filled Home – I grew up in a home bursting at the seams with love. I am so grateful for the parents and brothers I have, the things I always had provided for me, the opportunities I was always encouraged to go for, and all the other things along the way that made me the well-rounded person I am today. I have my own home now so I know exactly what kind of home I want Owen to grow up in!
· Hand Lotion that Really Works – This fall and winter have been harder on my skin than any other time in my life. Let’s just say that lotion is crucial in my day to day life! FYI I am a huge fan of Avon Moisture Therapy and Bath & Body Works Shea Cashmere!!
· Warm Water on Cold Hands – This is most likely the reason I have such dry, cracked skin. I am a little obsessive about hand-washing. Not OCD, I don’t think, but maybe borderline!
· No Distractions – A day with no distractions would be the most productive day EVER. And probably the most boring and most lonely too! I choose a busy hit-and-miss day any day!
I suppose my goal for February will be to choose less “happies” to blog about. I apologize to those of you who are still reading. To those of you who have drifted off to sleep, I certainly don’t blame you!
Happy rest-of-the-week to each of you!
Carianne



I LOVE that your doing this - it makes me happy. Thanks for all the sweet comments. And I love having you in my kitchen :) I love being in yours too. What a fun list and I agree with so many of these. I look forward to reading these each month. Does that say posted at 12:45am?? Good grief - get to bed, girl! :)
ReplyDelete